The Atmospheric Sciences and Global Change Division at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) and its Joint Global Change Research Institute (JGCRI), a collaboration with the University of Maryland, seek one or more early career research scientists with experience in modeling energy-water-land interactions at regional to global and annual to century scales. The anticipated tasks may include:
- MultiSector dynamics modeling using the Global Change Analysis Model (GCAM), including development of new capabilities and analysis of energy-water-land-climate interactions within GCAM.
- Development, analysis or use of other component models within the Global Change Intersectoral Modeling System (GCIMS), including work on developing input data for GCAM or disaggregating GCAM outputs using other tools.
- Close collaboration with interdisciplinary scientists at JGCRI/PNNL, and other collaborating research institutions.
- It is anticipated that the successful candidate will work on the Global Change Intersectoral Modeling System (GCIMS) science focus area.
The hiring level will be determined based on the education, experience and skill set of the successful candidate based on the following:
Level 1 : Receives instruction on required tasks and reports results on time and on budget, while working under guidance from experienced staff. Takes initiative to set personal direction and goals. Work is conducted with a high standard of quality, safety, and security. Applies basic S&E theories to well defined tasks with minimal oversight. Requires conceptual knowledge of scientific or engineering theories, practices and procedures within specialization.
Level 2 : Receives guidance on new assignments, making preliminary selections on technical alternatives; independently completes recurring assignments. Defines and leads project work at a small task/project level, reporting results on time and on budget. Contributes to proposals. Embraces expectations for quality, safety, and security. Communicates the importance within the work team. Building reputation through application of S&E principles and theories, and developing technical approaches to solve challenges.
BS/BA with 0-1 years of experience or MS/MA with 0 years of experience
- A cover letter attached to applicant’s resume, as a SINGLE PDF DOCUMENT, describing her/his qualifications and experience relating to this position.
- BS/BA with 2 years of experience, MS/MA with 0-2 years of experience, or PhD with 0 years of experience;
- Degree in computational science, engineering, physical sciences, applied mathematics, or related field;
- Proficiency in one or more of the following languages: C++, python, or R;
- Experience in developing and applying multi-sector dynamics, human-Earth system, or energy-economic models;
- Experience in analysis of integrated energy-water-land systems;
- Demonstrated ability to lead publications to completion in refereed journals;
- Candidates must have excellent communication skills, be able to work in a group environment, and have a demonstrated interest in and ability for successful collaboration across disciplinary boundaries.
For more information and to apply: https://pnnl.jobs/college-park-md/computational-scientist-multisector-dynamics-modeling/D0097F0ADB2341039B53C9198D3F5CBD/job/