The Atmospheric Sciences and Global Change Division at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) and its Joint Global Change Research Institute (JGCRI), a collaboration with the University of Maryland, seek one or more mid- to senior career research scientists with experience in modeling energy-water-land interactions at regional to global and annual to century scales. The anticipated tasks may include:
- MultiSector dynamics modeling using the Global Change Analysis Model (GCAM), including development of new capabilities and analysis of energy-water-land-climate interactions within GCAM.
- Development, analysis or use of other component models within the Global Change Intersectoral Modeling System (GCIMS), including work on developing input data for GCAM or disaggregating GCAM outputs using other tools.
- Leading tasks related to the development and analysis of GCAM and GCIMS components and simulations.
- Close collaboration with interdisciplinary scientists at JGCRI/PNNL, and other collaborating research institutions.
- It is anticipated that the successful candidate will work on the Global Change Intersectoral Modeling System (GCIMS) science focus area.
The hiring level will be determined based on the education, experience, and skill set of the successful candidate based on the following:
Level 3 : Selects and develops technical approaches on assignments with occasional oversight on complex problems. Principal investigator or co-PI on projects or tasks, while integrating capabilities of work team members. Supports scoping, scheduling, and budgeting at a project or major task level. Generates new ideas for proposals and business development opportunities while leading development of technical section of small to medium proposals. Demonstrates ability to acquire funding for self with programmatic impact at the sector and division level. Serves as a role model for quality, safety, and security
Level 4 : Selects and develops technical approaches to complex challenges. Principal investigator or co-PI on multiple or significantly complex, and/or high risk projects or tasks and/or involving multiple tasks, capabilities, and organizations. Develops, and realizes new significant project opportunities, leading the development of technical sections of large proposals. Takes lead in scope, schedule, and budget for projects or large tasks. Demonstrates ability to acquire funding for self and task level teams. Mentor staff and peers across directorate.
A cover letter attached to applicant’s resume, as a SINGLE PDF DOCUMENT, describing her/his qualifications and experience relating to this position.
BS/BA with 5 years of experience, MS/MA with 3 years of experience, or PhD with 1 year of experience
- BS/BA with 7 years of experience, MS/MA with 5 years of experience, PhD with 3 years of experience;
- Degree in engineering, physical sciences, applied mathematics, computational science, economics, hydrology, or related field;
- Experience leading model development or analysis tasks;
- Experience in developing and applying GCAM or other comparable models;
- Experience in analysis of integrated energy-water-land systems;
- Strong publication record and demonstrated ability to lead publications to completion in refereed journals;
- Candidates must have excellent communication skills, be able to work in a group environment, and have a demonstrated interest in and ability for successful collaboration across disciplinary boundaries;
- Experience with one or more of the following languages: C++, python, or R.
For more information and to apply: https://pnnl.jobs/college-park-md/senior-research-scientist-multisector-dynamics-modeling/196C05C7B400491FA59A844EAAA0F3BC/job/