Global Change Research Institute (JGCRI) at the University of Maryland (UMD). JGCRI, established in 2001 and located at the College Park campus of UMD, is a vibrant intellectual hub that develops, stewards, and applies capabilities developed by PNNL for the Department of Energy and many other sponsors to address key issues at the interface between human and Earth systems. The Institute includes over sixty full-time scientists, engineers, post-graduate researchers, students, and support staff, plus a number of guest researchers, joint appointees, and interns dedicated to understanding and exploring responses to environmental change across a range of sectors and scales.
This is an extraordinary opportunity to lead an interdisciplinary, world-class research team addressing important issues in both basic and applied research. The JGCRI Director is responsible for:
- The operation and overall strategic direction of JGCRI
- Overseeing and working with an established line management team to ensure effective line management for JGCRI staff, including recruitment, retention, mentorship, and career development
- Partnering with senior staff to represent the Institute in a variety of scientific forums
- Building and maintaining connections with other PNNL groups at the main campus in Richland, Washington
- Overseeing and working with a support team to ensure efficient, safe, and secure operations
- Maintaining a personal research portfolio that is aligned with JGCRI’s research directions
- Working with project leaders to ensure a vibrant and sustainable research portfolio
- Serving as a bridge between PNNL and UMD to foster continued collaboration
- Bachelor’s Degree plus 10 years of experience
- Advanced Degree plus 8 years of experience.
- Demonstrated technical leadership and history of leading large, interdisciplinary research teams
- Strong reputation with an international network of collaborators
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills
- Ph.D. in a science domain relevant to JGCRI research (e.g., energy systems, economics, Earth system science, political science, etc.) with 10+ years of experience
- Demonstrated line management experience with success in building teams
- Track record of successful fundraising and executing projects or programs
- Familiarity with DOE research programs would also be a plus, but not required
Hazardous Working Conditions/Environment
Testing Designated Position
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) is a world-class research institution powered by a highly educated, diverse workforce committed to the values of Integrity, Creativity, Collaboration, Impact, and Courage. Every year, scores of dynamic, driven people come to PNNL to work with renowned researchers on meaningful science, innovations and outcomes for the U.S. Department of Energy and other sponsors; here is your chance to be one of them!
At PNNL, you will find an exciting research environment and excellent benefits including health insurance, flexible work schedules and telework options. The Joint Global Change Research Institute (JGCRI) is located at the University of Maryland (UMD) in College Park, Maryland.
See here for more details: https://careers.pnnl.gov/jobs/3122