The MultiSector Dynamics (MSD) Community of Practice is excited to announce that the Inaugural MSD Workshop will take place on October 3-5, 2023 at UC Davis. The workshop aims to bring together members of the MSD community of practice to advance understanding of the co-evolution of human and natural systems and build the next generation of tools that bridge sectors, scales, and systems to realize a more resilient and equitable future. The theme of the workshop is “Advancing Complex Adaptive Human-Earth Systems Science in a World of Interconnected Risks“.
The workshop will host approximately 100 attendees, with a large focus on students and early career scientists (Ph.D. received within the past 10 years). Workshop goals, along with a preliminary agenda and a list of preliminary thematic breakout sessions are provided below.
Workshop attendees will be selected based on the submission of an abstract, a biosketch and a workshop-leveraging plan that demonstrate novel research relevant to the MSD workshop cross-cutting themes and the capacity to advance the workshop objectives. The deadline for the application to attend the MSD Workshop is June 9th, 11:59pm PT. Please apply using the MSD Workshop application form. Limited funds are available to waive registration fees and for travel awards. These funds will be distributed based on the evaluation of the abstract, biosketch and workshop leveraging plan.
- Integrating students and early career scientists to high-level MSD research
- Fostering collaborations opportunities across the MSD Community of Practice
- Integrating the different MSD Working Groups
- Dissemination existing MSD models, data, and methods
- Networking and interdisciplinary collaboration opportunities
- Developing manuscripts for the Earth’s Future special issue ‘Multi-Sector Dynamics: Advancing Complex Adaptive Human-Earth Systems Science in a World of Interconnected Risks‘
- Morning: plenary presentations identifying the workshop goals and the cross-cutting challenges and themes to be discussed in the breakout/planning sessions
- Afternoon: poster session and networking activities
- Morning: thematic breakout sessions
- Afternoon: thematic breakout sessions and plenary breakout sessions reporting
- Morning: thematic planning sessions
- Afternoon: thematic planning sessions and plenary planning sessions reporting
Thematic breakout/planning sessions
We anticipate the following breakout/planning sessions to address the following cross-cutting challenges and themes in MSD research:
- Inspiring operational relevance in MSD research related to climate change and energy transition
- Better capturing human actors and their responses to emergent risks in MSD systems
- Understanding how human and natural system drivers and uncertainties at different scales combine to shape global-to-local dynamics
- Challenges and approaches to represent and analyze equity in MSD research
- Using AI to advance the modeling of complex adaptive Human-Earth systems
The structure and format of the workshop, as well as the thematic breakout/planning sessions listed above, may evolve in the coming months as the Technical Program Committee further refines the workshop agenda.
October 3-5, 2023
To learn more about the goals for this Inaugural MSD Workshop please watch the May 18th informational webinar.